Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Hannah Sock

Is anyone else participating in the Ravelympics? I don't know that you could say I'm participating in any official capacity...and I highly doubt I'll complete the project in time, but I'll update you all nonetheless.

If you recall from my last blog post, I decided to enter the Designer Biathlon event. The idea is to design and publish a pattern from scratch within the 17 days of the Winter Olympic Games.

Here is Hannah, a sock designed especially for little girls:


I've gotta say, this was a challenge. And while I have a rough draft done, there are still a couple issues that require tweaking.

I don't want to give too much away about this pattern, but here are a few more pictures....




And the detail I'm most proud of?


Hidden under the foldover cuff is just enough ribbing to help hold everything up.

I'm working on a second sample now with a white cuff and pink foot. I'm convinced that these will look absolutely precious with a different color for the cuff.

The pattern will be available soon in toddler, girl, and women's sizes if all goes according to plan. Email me if you'd like to be notified when this pattern is available for purchase.

5 comments:

Bradie Sparrow said...

This is lovely! I can't imagine being able to do it, but I would certainly be willing to try! I am so impressed at the thought of designing something knitted, I am pretty clueless at this point. Thank you fro sharing, I look forward to seeing the pink/white sock.

--Deb said...

Very cute!

Jena Webber said...

Wow!! I've missed your blog too! What a great looking sock! I haven't knit in about a month, and I need to! Good job on such a beautiful project!

Sandra La Knitalian said...

the hidden rib, GENIUS! Can't wait to try this one on GrandBaby Rhonda!

show us the colors! :D

Jena Webber said...

Do you sell your patterns anywhere? They are so nice! I love knitting socks.